What to expect from a flagship Android device? Everything right? Well, you won’t be able to max out the use of your device if you haven’t unlocked it and installed a custom recovery.
Why? Simply because you can flash almost anything on your phone with a custom recovery. The perfect recovery for such a task is TWRP.
Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is a third-party recovery software useful to flash third-party binaries such as mods, tweaks, custom ROMs, custom Kernels, and so on.
Moreover, TWRP is also capable of creating full backups and restore them in the future.
TWRP is available for most Android phones around the globe, including Google Pixel 3 XL.
Pixel 3 XL is the larger variant of standard Pixel 3. The phone with codename Crosshatch is the most popular version of Google’s flagship smartphones.
The phone ships with Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm) SoC. The chipset boasts Octa-core (4×2.5 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.6 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPUs and Adreno 630 GPU.
You can download the official TWRP for Google Pixel 3 XL from below direct link. There are two files of TWRP; the flash-able image file and its installer zip file. You need to download both.
Download TWRP v3.3.1-2 IMG File:TWRP v3.3.1-2 Pixel 3 XL Flasshable Image File (145 downloads)
Download TWRP v3.3.1-2 ZIP File:TWRP v3.3.1-2 Pixel 3 XL Flasshable Zip File (143 downloads)
Check also: Download TWRP for Google Pixel 3.
How to Install TWRP on Pixel 3 XL
Follow these steps below to flash TWRP v3 on Google Pixel 3 XL:
- Unlock the bootloader of your phone. This is a must.
- Download ADB Drivers Installer.
- Install the USB ADB Drivers on your computer.
- Download the latest Android Platform Tools.
- Extract the zip file and you should now have the “platform-tools” folder.
- Download both image (.img) and the installer (.zip) files of TWRP from the link above.
- Copy both files to the “platform-tools” folder.
- Connect your phone to the computer using its USB cable.
- Go to the “platform-tools” folder (open it in Windows Explorer).
- Type cmd in the address of Windows explorer then hit Enter.
- A command prompt windows shall appear.
- Type these lines of commands and hit Enter after each line:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-crosshatch.img
- The phone will reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Type this command to copy TWRP zip file:
adb push twrp-installer-3.3.1-2-crosshatch.zip /tmp/
You can change /tmp/ with any folder you want. The /tmp folder is basically temporary RAM storage.
- Choose Install.
- Locate the zip file then select it.
- Do the “Swipe to confirm flash” action.
Voila!! You have flashed TWRP successfully on Pixel 3 XL. At this point, you can then flash Magisk to gain root access.